Thursday, April 3, 2008

Day trip to Siver City and the Gila

On my way to Sliver City for a workshop on grant writing... BORING!! I took some pics on the way down and then stopped for a hike on the way home. The 1st pic is the Gila mountains at sunrise. Then the next is looking the other direction at the foothills bathed in first morning light.




The beautiful purple tree which I think may be a crabapple b/c it was the Crabapple B&B in the community of Glenwood NM and it was just the best example of spring I have seen yet in Catron County.
THe pics of the river were on my hike in the afternoon... in the next post (didn't have enough room for all the pics) I will show you the name of the trail. This is the San Fransisco River which eventually joins up with the Gila River, I think. Anyway, there had been a flood of sorts here in January when some snow melt from the mountains came down in a rush from some unexpected rain and it was amazing how fast the water was running and the amount of damage and destruction that was left behind. I could hardly get to the bank due to all the log jams and debris. I was disappointed because there is supposed to be a Hot Spring down there and I couldn't find it after much exploring.

No comments: