Saturday, March 12, 2011

My first crochet hat...

So, I first started crocheting again last year and I hate to say it but my first blanket that granddaughter Annie received was a disaster and luckily for everyone else I have made gifts for...I have shown improvement. Maybe I should make another one for Annie this year?!? Anyway, I have mostly been making scarves and I even kept one of the last ones but this is my first hat.
When my near-daughter, Amanda, came for a visit this last Thanksgiving I re-taught her how to crochet as she had learned as a child from her Granny but didn't remember how to get past the chain. She took off like a banshee and went home and made like seven scarves for presents by Christmas...I was amazed at her ability for sure. She started making hats to go with those scarves so I asked her for a lesson!!
She sent me a You-tube lesson on making hats "in the round" as they call it and last Saturday (a week ago) I sat down with the computer and my yarn and got started. By Tuesday, I knew I had done something wrong as it looked like a scarf for a two headed dragon...
While in the backseat of my parent's car going to a doctor appt in Albq. I unraveled and unraveled and got back down to the 6th row of the round and started again. By Wednesday evening I had a lot of yarn left but was back to the length I had got to by Tuesday's unraveling fest. Thanks to Deb for helping me to untangle all that yarn that I hastily wadded up in the car!!!
So, last night I said to my honey...I think it is still too big and trying it on asked him what he thought?? He said it looked good and I should just wear it as is and be done with it. So I agreed to stop where I was and try it out and if I don't like it I can always unravel, unravel and unravel some more.
So, here I am with my just a little bit too big, first ever home-made hat! And now that I am done? It is 70 degrees and I just put on my first pair of shorts for the year so I won't be able to try it out quite yet. Never fear though, this is Datil and at 7600 feet I am sure we will have a few more "hat days" before summer!! Now, maybe a scarf to match...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just saw this! (see my blog to understand a bit why) It looks SO good! way batter than mine IMHO!!! maybe by the time you guys come out in May, you'll feel more confident (and will have figured out why it doesn't taper and fast as it should) and can show me a thing or two! though this looks WAY tappery-er than mine! mine looks like a flippin' beret! but I like beret's so it's not too horrible. congrats though!! <3<3<3